Notice to Members of the Public Wishing to Serve on the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC) for the 2018-2022 Term
The Region of Peel invites applications from members of the public who are interested in serving as a volunteer on the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC). Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply, as per the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001 (ODA) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), the majority of the members of the Committee shall be persons with disabilities.
The mandate of the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee is as follows:
- To advise Regional Council on ways to improve opportunities and remove barriers for persons with disabilities through the identification and removal of barriers with respect to programs and services delivered by the Region of Peel.
- To advise Regional Council on the requirements and implementation of the Accessibility Standards under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the preparation of accessibility reports.
- To advise Regional Council each year on the preparation, implementation and effectiveness of the Region of Peel Multi-Year Accessibility Plan.
- To review in a timely manner site plans and drawings described in section 41 of the Planning Act.
- To review in a timely manner all site plans and drawings as set out in the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulations (IASR) of the AODA as pertaining to the Design of Public Spaces Standards: exterior paths of travel, rest areas, and on-street parking spaces.
- To assist with planning and participate in community events and trade fairs to promote accessibility; and
- To perform all other functions specified in the ODA, AODA and subsequent regulations.
An applicant must be:
- A qualified elector of the Region of Peel pursuant to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, (a Canadian Citizen, 18 years of age or older and a resident/tenant or owner of land in the Region of Peel); and/or
- A person who is a qualified elector in Ontario, that represents a group or organization that acts on behalf of persons with disabilities that reside in the Region of Peel;
- Not an elected official of Regional Council or of the Council of a municipality in the Region of Peel; and
- Not an employee of the Region of Peel or of a municipality in the Region of Peel
While we encourage all interested parties from the local area to apply, first consideration will be given to applicants who identify with a disability.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume along with a letter of interest by email, mail, fax or in person to:
Kathryn Lockyer, Regional Clerk
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, 5th Fl.
Brampton ON L6T 4B9
Application deadline is Friday, September 28, 2018 by 4:30 p.m. For further information, please contact the Office of the Regional Clerk by email or by phone 905-791-7800, ext. 4330. Selected applicants will be invited to attend an interview.