Keep Your Spot on the Housing Subsidy Centralized Wait List
If you are on the wait list for housing subsidy, you must tell us if your personal situation changes. If you don’t, you could lose your place in line.
Once we have accepted your application for housing subsidy, you are put on the wait list. You will receive a blue card in the mail that has a reference number on it. Keep this card as a reference.
Update Your Information
Changes to your information can affect your wait time for housing subsidy. If your personal information or the number of family members you had listed on your application changes, the type and size of subsidized housing you need may also change.
It is important for us to know if your information changes so that we can contact you as soon as a subsidy that is right for you becomes available.
Contact us right away if there are changes to:
- your phone number or current address,
- your income and assets,
- your emergency contact (next-of-kin/agency), or
- your family members' information.
When you call us to update your information, we may ask you to show us documents like a pay stub or a birth certificate. These documents will show us how your information has changed.
To update your information, contact Peel Access to Housing (PATH) by:
- Phone: 905-793-9200 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- Email: ZZG-PeelAccessToHousing@peelregion.ca
- Fax: 905-453-1308
There are thousands of residents on the wait list for a housing subsidy in Peel. Your wait can be several years long. We will contact you when it is time to offer you a subsidy.
It is not possible to tell you what your place in line is or how long your wait will be since the size of the list changes often.
If you're already waiting and it seems like a long time has passed, do not re-apply for housing subsidy. Re-applying can create delays in your application and may make your wait time longer. To confirm that your application is active and up-to-date, contact us at 905-791-7800 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
You can help us reduce your wait time by doing the following:
- Contact us right away if you move or if there are changes to your situation.
- Be willing to move anywhere in Peel once we contact you.
- Don't refuse housing subsidy when it is offered to you.
You can also reduce your wait time by changing your city preference for housing. Different areas have different wait times. To change your city preference, contact us at 905-791-7800 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
Estimated Wait Time for Housing Subsidy in Peel
Your wait time can depend on:
- when a subsidy becomes available,
- housing availability,
- the city you have selected,
- how many bedrooms you are eligible for,
- if you need a wheelchair accessible unit, and
- how many people are ahead of you on the wait list.
The following table shows estimates of wait times based on the size of unit required and location (municipality). Your wait time could be shorter or longer depending on the factors listed above.
(Two or more household members)
(One household member only)
(All household members age 65+, or spouses where 1 spouse is 65+)
|2-7 years||5½-6½ years|
|3-10 years||5½-8 years|
|1½-5½ years||3-6½ years|
The time ranges shown above are estimated by measuring the wait times for most of the applicants in each municipality and housing type.
While you are waiting for housing subsidy, you may search for other living arrangements on your own, and apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities (towns, cities, or Regions) outside of Peel.
You can look for a lower-cost market rental unit (which isn't subsidized) on your own. You can check market listings for available apartments for rent.
To find the phone number for a particular market rental unit, you can check our list of Social Housing Providers in Peel - Market Units.
Housing Allowance and Employment Program
If you are currently working, you may be eligible to take part in a program that:
- gives you a housing allowance of up to $550 monthly for up to 5 years, and
- supports you in developing your job skills by reviewing your resume, connecting you to community resources, and giving you leads for suitable jobs.
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- be on the Housing Subsidy Centralized Wait List,
- live in Peel,
- not own your own home,
- not be receiving housing subsidy or a housing allowance,
- be employed (or someone on your application is employed), and
- have a minimum gross (before tax) income of $25,000.
If you meet all the eligibility requirements and would like to learn more about this program, call 905-453-1300, ext. 4642.
Housing subsidies in other municipalities
You can apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities outside of Peel, even if you are already on the wait list in Peel. You can move into housing in the municipality that contacts you first when a subsidy is available.
To apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities, you will need to visit their websites and follow their instructions to apply. Every municipality has its own application process. To find a list of municipalities offering social housing programs, visit Ontario's list of Service Managers and Their Service Areas.
Other Financial Support
We also offer several support options that you can apply for, which may help you during your wait:
- Ontario Works – help paying for food, clothing, and shelter
- Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) – financial help for people with disabilities
- Help Paying for Past-Due Bills or Rent – one-time help if you are facing eviction because you can't pay your bills
- Find a Shelter – safe shelter in Peel, with 24-hour support from caseworkers
If you are found by Peel Access to Housing (PATH) to be ineligible for housing subsidy, you will get a letter in the mail. The letter will tell you why your request wasn't approved.
If you want to have the decision reviewed by an Appeals Specialist, you must fill out and submit an appeal form within 30 days of the decision date.
While you are waiting for a housing subsidy, you may have a change in your circumstance.
Call us at 905-791-7800 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) to discuss your changes, and we'll advise you if one of the forms below needs to be completed and sent to us.
- Medical Application Form for a Modified Unit (PDF)
- Medical Application Form for a Restriction Due to a Medical Condition (PDF)
- Medical Application Form for an Additional Bedroom (PDF)
- Medical Priority Form for Applicants with a Terminal Illness (PDF)
- Victims of Family Violence Form (PDF)
- Victims of Human Trafficking (PDF)
- Building Selection Sheet (PDF)