Keep Your Spot on the Housing Subsidy Centralized Wait List

If you are on the wait list for housing subsidy, you must tell us if your personal situation changes. If you don’t, you could lose your place in line.

Once we have accepted your application for housing subsidy, you are put on the wait list. You will receive a blue card in the mail that has a reference number on it. Keep this card as a reference.

There are thousands of residents on the wait list for housing subsidy in Peel. Your wait can be several years long. We will contact you when it is time to offer you a subsidy.

Your wait time can depend on:

It is not possible to tell you what your place in line is or how long your wait will be, as the size of the list changes often.

If you're already waiting and it seems like a long time has passed, do not re-apply for housing subsidy. Re-applying can create delays in your application and may make your wait time longer. To confirm that your application is active and up-to-date, contact us at 905-793-9200 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

Update Your Information

Changes to your information can affect your wait time for housing subsidy. If your personal information or the number of family members you had listed on your application changes, the type and size of subsidized housing that you need may also change. It is important for us to know if your information changes so that we can contact you as soon as a subsidy that is right for you becomes available.

Contact us right away if there are changes to:

When you call us to update your information, we may ask you to show us documents like a pay stub or a birth certificate. These documents will show us how your information has changed.

To update your information, contact Peel Access to Housing (PATH) by:

Other information

You can help us reduce your wait time by doing the following:

  • Contact us right away if you move or if there are changes to your situation.
  • Be open to move anywhere in Peel once we contact you.
  • Don't refuse housing subsidy when it is offered to you.

You can also alter your wait time by changing your city preference for housing.

While you are waiting for housing subsidy, you may search for other living arrangements on your own, and apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities (towns, cities, or Regions) outside of Peel.

Low-rent housing

You can look for a lower-cost market rental unit (which isn't subsidized) on your own. You can check market listings for available apartments for rent.

To find the phone number for a particular market rental unit, you can check our list of Social Housing Providers in Peel - Market Units.

Housing Allowance and Employment Program

If you are currently working, you may be eligible to take part in a program that:

  • gives you a housing allowance of up to $550 monthly for up to 5 years, and
  • supports you in developing your job skills by reviewing your resume, connecting you to community resources, and giving you leads for suitable jobs.

To be eligible for this program, you must:

  • be on the Housing Subsidy Centralized Wait List,
  • live in Peel,
  • not own your own home,
  • not be receiving housing subsidy or a housing allowance,
  • be employed (or someone on your application is employed), and
  • have a minimum gross (before tax) income of $25,000.

If you meet all the eligibility requirements and would like to learn more about this program, call 905-453-1300, ext. 4642.

Housing subsidies in other municipalities

You can apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities outside of Peel, even if you are already on the wait list in Peel. You can move into housing in the municipality that contacts you first when a subsidy is available.

To apply for housing subsidy in other municipalities, you will need to visit their websites and follow their instructions to apply. Every municipality has its own application process. To find a list of municipalities offering social housing programs, visit Ontario's list of Service Managers and Their Service Areas.

Other Financial Support

We also offer several support options that you can apply for, which may help you during your wait:

If you are found by Peel Access to Housing (PATH) to be ineligible for housing subsidy, you will get a letter in the mail. The letter will tell you why your request wasn't approved. If you want to have the decision reviewed by an Appeals Specialist, you must fill out and submit an appeal form within 30 days to have the decision reviewed.

While you are waiting for a housing subsidy, you personal circumstances may change.

If they do, call us at 905-793-9200 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) to discuss your changes. We will advise you if one of the following forms needs to be completed.