Apply for housing subsidy
If you can't afford your rent, you can apply for housing subsidy.
When you receive a housing subsidy, the amount of money you pay for rent is based on your household income. This is also known as rent-geared-to-income.
You may apply for housing subsidy in Peel, even if you don't currently live in Peel.
The wait for housing subsidy in Peel is long, and you may have to wait for several years before you can receive subsidy.
While you are waiting, you can apply for housing subsidy in other regions outside of Peel without losing your spot. You can also look for affordable housing on your own. We'll still contact you when housing subsidy is available.
Do not re-apply if you've already applied for subsidized housing in Peel or you're already on the wait list, do not re-apply. Find out how to keep your spot on the Housing Subsidy Centralized Wait List.
All applications are reviewed by Peel Access to Housing (PATH).
Step 1: Check your eligibility
To apply, you and everyone on your application (family including children) must:
- Be a Canadian citizen, a landed immigrant, or have applied for permanent residency, or refugee protection in Canada with no removal orders.
- Not have outstanding money you owe to another social housing provider.
- Agree to sell any home or land that you own (or that you share ownership of) within 6 months of accepting an offer.
- Not have cash, investments or property worth more than $50,000 (or $75,000 if you are applying with someone).
Step 2: Apply online
To apply, you will need to make sure you have acceptable identification.
You will also need to know the income, assets, and personal information for yourself and every person you are applying for.
Do not re-apply if you've already applied for housing subsidy in Peel or you're already on the wait list. Find out how to keep your spot on the wait list.
The quickest way to get your application for housing subsidy to us is to apply online. If you can't apply online, you can also apply in the following ways:
- Call us at 905–793–9200 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) to complete the application over the phone.
- Download and print out an application form (PDF), and then:
- deliver it in person to a Region of Peel service location, or
- mail the completed form to:
Region of Peel – Peel Access to Housing
PO Box 3600 RPO Streetsville
Mississauga, ON L5M 0T3
When you apply for housing subsidy, you must provide a photocopy of your personal identification (ID) for yourself and for every person you are applying with (including children).
Refer to the following list for acceptable forms of ID. You only need one form of ID for each person.
Note: If the information in the ID does not include the date of birth, further documentation may be required.
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Proof of Live Birth in Canada or Registration (for a child under the age of 2)
- Documentation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada acknowledging application for permanent status in Canada
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Canadian Citizenship Certificate
- Registered Indian Band Status (Native)
- Valid Canadian Passport (not expired)
- Documentation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, regarding application for proof or replacement of a Citizenship Card
- Documentation from Office of the Registrar General regarding application for proof or replacement of a Birth Certificate
- Landed Status Papers including date of landing
- Baptismal Certificates
- Permanent Resident Document
- Permanent Resident Card
- Immigration Documents indicating Convention Refugee or Refugee Claimants
- Refugee Claimant
- Acknowledgement of Convention Refugee Claim
- Eligibility Certificate
- Notice to Appear
- Notice of Decision
- Convention Refugee Document