Apply for a discounted monthly bus pass
If you live in Brampton or Mississauga and you can't afford a monthly bus pass, you can apply for a discount.
We offer a 50% discount off the regular cost of a monthly bus pass to eligible residents.
If you’re eligible, you would pay the following discounted rates for your monthly bus pass:
City Adult Senior Child/Youth Brampton $64 $26 $64 Mississauga $67.50 $32.50 $67.50
- If you’re eligible, any of your dependents who need a bus pass would also be eligible for the discount.
- The discount is valid for 12 months. After the discounted period ends, you can re-apply or the cost of your monthly bus pass would return to full price.
- The discounted bus pass only applies to the bus service in the city in which you live.
You can apply online for your discounted monthly bus pass. Review the following steps before applying.
Are you new to Canada?If you are new to Canada and have not filed taxes before, you can still apply. Check which document you need to include in your application.
Step 1: check your eligibility
Who is eligible:
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, newcomers who have applied for permanent residency, sponsorship, or refugee protection in Canada
Who is not eligible:
- International students and foreign workers
- live in Brampton or Mississauga, and
- have a net household income that is equal to or lower than the amounts shown in the following table:
Household size Net household income 1 person $22,133 2 persons $31,301 3 persons $38,335 4 persons $44,266 5 persons $49,491 6 persons $54,215 7 persons $58,558
If you have questions about eligibility, email the Affordable Transit Program.
Step 2: apply online
We review applications on a first come, first served basis.
Every member of your household applying for this discount must have their own registered PRESTO card. Cards can be purchased at Brampton and Mississauga transit locations or on the PRESTO website. The initial cost of the card will not be refunded or discounted.
You also need the current Notice of Assessment (NOA) for yourself and all applicants in your household over the age of 18. If you do not have your NOA, you can request a replacement from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281.
After you apply, it may take up to 15 business days to receive a response. We may need to contact you for more information.
If you are approved, the discount will be programmed onto your card by transit staff at specific locations. This will allow you to buy the pass at half price for 12 months.
If you are a newcomer and have not filed taxes before, you will need to submit one of the following with your application:
- Confirmation of Permanent Residence Document
- Protected Person Status Document
- Refugee Protection Claimant Document
You will also need to submit a document showing your income, such as one of the following with your application:
- Resettlement plan document
- A statement showing you receive support from Ontario Works, ODSP, the Federal Government or a private sponsor
- A pay stub, or a letter from your employer detailing your wage
- The first page of a monthly banking statement which displays your name and address
At least one of these documents must show your address in Brampton or Mississauga. You will need to submit this information for anyone listed on the application that is 18 or older.
If you still have questions about eligibility, email the Affordable Transit Program.
For questions or concerns not found online please call 905-793-9200 (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) and ask about the Affordable Transit Program.
Once you've been approved, you will need to bring your registered PRESTO card to one of the following locations to have the discount applied.
Brampton residents can bring your registered PRESTO card to any of the following six Brampton Transit locations:
|Clark Transit Facility||185 Clark Blvd, Brampton, L6T 4G6|
|Sandalwood Transit Facility||130 Sandalwood Pkwy, Brampton, L7A 1A8|
|Bramalea Terminal||160 Central Park Drive, Brampton, L6T 1B4|
|Downtown Terminal||8 Nelson Street, Brampton, L6X 1M8|
|Brampton Gateway Terminal at Shoppers World||501 Main Street South, Brampton, L6Y 1N6|
|Trinity Common Terminal||164 Great Lakes Blvd, Brampton, L6R 2S5|
Mississauga residents can bring your registered PRESTO card to the following MiWay transit location:
|City Centre Transit Terminal||200 Rathburn Road, Mississauga, L5B 4E5|
Using your discounted bus pass
The discounted bus pass only applies to the bus service in the city in which you live.
- Applications are accepted online please review the steps below.
Your discounted bus pass can be used for unlimited travel in the city in which you live.
If you travel outside of the city you live in, you can use your discounted bus pass to transfer onto connecting transit systems within a two-hour transfer window.
The two-hour transfer is valid on transit systems across the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area, except for GO Transit and the TTC. You will have to pay the full fare on GO Transit and the TTC.
When returning to your city using another transit system, you will be required to pay the full fare.
Learn more about traveling with PRESTO.