Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Water and your home

Get the facts about household water use.

Most homes in Peel are connected to underground pipes. These pipes connect to the Regional water supply and wastewater collection system.

As a homeowner, you are responsible for paying your water bill on time and for maintaining and replacing certain pipes.

Other information

How much water you use affects the payment amount on your bill.

Most residents are billed every 3 months for their water use. You can receive and pay your water bill online through Peel’s billing portal, or you can receive your bill by mail.

Your water bill pays for the treatment and delivery of Peel’s high quality drinking water and the collection and treatment of wastewater.

If you live in Mississauga or Brampton, your bill will also include a stormwater charge.

If you’re a new customer, you’ll see a service charge for setting up a new account or moving to a resale or rental property.

Reading and paying your bill

You are charged for the amount of water that goes through your water meter.

Learn how to read your bill and monitor for unexpected changes. A higher-than-normal bill could mean a change in your water use or a leak.

You are responsible for paying your water bill in full. A late payment charge will apply if your bill isn’t paid on time.

Making changes to your water billing account

Update your account information if:

  • You need to change your account holder information.
  • You are moving.
  • You want to close your account.

Get details about water billing for landlords and tenants.

Common causes of high bills

If your water bill is higher than normal, consider if you used more water than you would normally use.

Common reasons for a higher water bill:

  • Installing or filling a swimming pool
  • Watering your lawn or garden more than usual
  • More people using water in the home (for example, an overnight visit from family or friends).

If nothing has changed, find your water meter and use it to check for leaks.

Being water efficient is the smart use of water through water-saving technologies and simple behavioural changes. Try our tips for using less water in your home and outdoors.

You are billed for the amount of water passing through the water meter, whether the amount is caused by regular usage or a leak.

Water enters and exits your home through a series of pipes. These pipes connect to Peel Region’s water supply and wastewater collection system.

As a homeowner you need to know how water enters and leaves your home if you want to prevent water damage.

How water enters your home

Your private-side water pipe runs from your property line to the inside your home.

Homeowners are responsible for maintaining and replacing the private-side water pipe. Peel Region is responsible for replacing watermains, the large pipes that bring water to your home.

Peel Region also owns and maintains:

  • The water meter inside your home.
  • The remote water reading device attached to your home.
  • The pipes on the public side of the property line.

Consider enrolling in Service Line Warranties of Canada’s service line warranty program. It provides protection for your private side property from broken or frozen pipes.

See an illustration of who owns what on a residential property.

Water meters, transmitters, and shutoff valves

Your water meter measures the exact amount of water that’s supplied to your property. Learn how to find and read your water meter to ensure that it’s working properly.

Water meters are typically found in the basement next to the main shutoff valve.

A transmitter shares water consumption information with the Region. It’s typically found outside the home. Keep the transmitter accessible.

Homeowners are responsible for maintaining their shutoff valve. Operate your shutoff valve every 6 months and replace it if it breaks. If your shutoff valve is broken, call 905-791-7800 to book a water shutoff appointment. This is required before a plumber can fix the valve.

Homeowners are also responsible for not tampering or altering their water meter and making sure it’s accessible if repairs or replacement is required by Peel Region.

If you’ll be away from home for a long time, turn your water off using the main shutoff valve to avoid costly leaks.

Learn more about your responsibilities if there’s a fire hydrant on your property.

The wastewater leaving your property

Wastewater is the dirty water from toilets, sinks, showers, and laundry.

The water collected in the pipes in your home goes into the sanitary sewer system through one pipe running beneath your home to the street.

Homeowners are responsible for the pipes that collect wastewater in the home. They are also responsible for the section of pipe that runs beneath the home to the property line.

Service Line Warranties of Canada’s optional service line warranty program can give you the option of protecting yourself from costly and unexpected repairs.


Stormwater is the rain and melted snow that flows from your property into streets, ditches, storm drains and local creeks, rivers, and lakes.

Unlike wastewater, stormwater flows directly into local water bodies and is not treated by our wastewater treatment plants.

If you are a property owner in the City of Mississauga or City of Brampton, a stormwater charge may appear on your Region of Peel water bill. This charge is collected on behalf of the cities and goes to investing in stormwater management.

Regular maintenance can keep your home plumbing system working properly and prevent water-related issues.

As a general rule:

Prevent frozen pipes

In the fall, before the first frost:

Basement flooding

The chance of flooding is something every homeowner needs to consider.

If you have a basement:

Water quality

In Peel, drinking water comes from Lake Ontario, regionally owned wells, or private wells.

We make it a priority:

  • To provide safe, clean, reliable drinking water.
  • To ensure that we meet drinking water standards by treating Peel’s source water and regularly testing water samples.

Related information:

Getting your water tested

If you get water from Peel’s water system, only allow Region of Peel employees or their agents to test your tap water, collect tap water samples or install water equipment. Peel Public Works staff carry photo ID cards and drive Region of Peel vehicles.

We do not hire other companies to test municipal tap water or collect water samples on our behalf.

Peel Water Operators are certified to conduct drinking water tests and collect drinking water samples. These samples are analyzed by a qualified licensed laboratory. If we need to test the water in your home, we will contact you beforehand.

Door-to-door agents

Be wary of door-to-door sales agents. They might tell you that you signed up for a program with the City of Brampton, City of Mississauga, or the Town of Caledon. They might also ask you for a void cheque. Never give any personal information to door-to-door sales agents.

The Government of Ontario has banned door-to-door water heater and treatment device sales.

Stay informed

The more you know about the water quality in Peel, the less likely you’ll be targeted by companies trying to sell you costly and unnecessary water treatment equipment.

If you have questions or concerns, email our water quality team or call 905-791-7800, ext. 4685.