Keeping Regional roadsides free of garbage and debris is one way the Region of Peel contributes to creating healthy communities.
The Regional Municipality of Peel's Adopt-a-Road program is a public service program enabling participants to pick up litter along certain regional road rights-of-way. Adopt-a-Road is a way for environmentally-conscious citizens to make a personal contribution to a cleaner environment.
Under the program, groups or individuals agree to adopt a section of road right-of-way and keep it clean. The Region recognizes the participant(s) by erecting signs acknowledging their efforts at either end of their designated roadway.
Map of roads available for adoption
Peel Region bases all Adopt-a-Road Program decisions on roadway safety.
To adopt a Peel Regional Road, a person, group, or organization must:
- Be deemed responsible by Peel Region.
- Demonstrate, in good faith, a desire and ability to meet the Adopt-a-Road Program objectives within the parameters of certain terms and conditions.
Adopt-a-Road terms and conditionsAdoption refusals
Peel Region may refuse a Regional road adoption if, in its opinion, granting the adoption request would:
- Jeopardize the program.
- Be counterproductive to its purpose.
- Create a public safety hazard.
- Be in conflict with government or Regional policies.
- Participants in the Adopt-a-Road Program are not considered officers, employees, or agents of the Region of Peel.
- Participants will be solely responsible for any injuries, claims, liabilities, suits, or costs resulting from their activities relating to this agreement.
- Participants shall agree to follow the Region's guidelines and indemnify the Region for harm or loss.
- Participants will not hold the Region responsible for any injuries or damages that they may cause or suffer as a result participating in the Adopt-a-Road Program.
Participants are encouraged to recycle materials collected from the adopted section of the right-of-way, whenever and wherever possible.
Applying to adopt a Regional road
If you have a question about participating or need further details, email us.
Complete the Adopt-a-Road application form.
Once we're approved your application, we'll recognize your effort and publicize your participation by placing signs along your adopted section of the roadway.
Roadway safety is the most important factor in Regional decisions related to the Adopt-a-Road program.
Only individuals and groups who have shown, in good faith, the desire and the ability to meet the Adopt-a Road-program objectives and terms and conditions will be approved.