Waste services affected by extreme weather

For the week of January 17, set out your waste 1 day later than your regular collection day.  Get details.

Peel Region homepage
Peel Region
main

Water and wastewater open house

This online open house #2 is being used to get more input from you on how the Region of Peel should charge for water and wastewater services.

Get started

How we currently charge for water and wastewater

A rate structure determines how you are charged for drinking water and wastewater treatment.

Peel Region currently uses a volumetric rate structure to charge for water and wastewater. This means we charge you a flat rate for water and wastewater based on the amount of water you use.

When we refer to ‘rate’, the rate is the price we charge per cubic metre of water used.

The rate (or price) we currently charge is the same for everyone. It doesn’t change with the amount of water used or whether you’re a homeowner or a business.

A note about wastewater

Wastewater is not metered. For residential customers, 85% of the water you use inside your home ends up in a drain or toilet, and ultimately that’s what gets treated by our wastewater system. The other 15% is used outside for activities such as lawn and garden watering and car washing. This data is based on historical information.

Businesses are charged for wastewater based on 100% of their water use to reflect the used water that enters the drain and gets treated.

A note about stormwater

Customers in the cities of Mississauga and Brampton (not Caledon) see a third charge on their bill. This is for stormwater which is a city service.

The money collected from this charge is passed directly back to the cities and is used for stormwater costs. This online open house does not address this stormwater charge since Peel Region does not provide stormwater services.

Get started