Transportation Information and Data
Transportation Tomorrow Survey (TTS)
The Transportation Tomorrow Survey collects information on the demographics (age, gender, etc.) and travel choices and preferences of people who live in the Greater Golden Horseshoe Area.
The TTS happens every 5 years. Peel Region took part in the 1986, 1991, 1996, 2001, and 2006 surveys, along with the Ministry of Transportation Ontario, GO Transit, the Toronto Transit Commission and 17 municipalities in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
Transportation Tomorrow Survey data:
- Helps us determine our long-range planning.
- Serves as major source of the Travel Demand Forecasting model update.
- Prompts changes to current policies or the development of new policies.
- Tells us which transportation facilities and programs need to be improved.
The survey process starts with a letter being mailed to randomly selected households. This letter tells the residents that a professional interviewer will call to ask a few questions about their travel choices and preferences.
During the 10-minute phone survey, the interviewer gathers “trip data” of household members over 11 years of age. The survey aims to find out how, where and where trips were made on weekdays.
Note: A “trip” is any one-way journey from one location to another by foot, bicycle or motorized vehicle. For walking, the interviewer collects only information on trips to and from work or school.)
Transportation Tomorrow Survey summaries
A) About the household:
- What type of building do you live in?
- How many people live in your household?
- How many vehicles are available for personal use?
B) About each person in the household:
- What are the ages of the members of your household?
- How many have a driver's license?
- What is the street address where they work or go to school?
C) About each trip made by each person the previous day:
- Where did you start out from? What was your destination?
- Why did you make the trip (e.g., shopping)?
- When did you start your trip?
- How did you get there (for example, by bus, car, bicycle)?
To learn more about the Transportation Tomorrow Survey visit the Urban Transport Research and Advancement Centre’s Data Management Group page or contact:
Manager, Transportation System Planning
Transportation Planning, Public Works
Region of Peel
Tel: 905-791-7800 ext. 4352
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite A, 6th Floor
Brampton, ON L6T 4B9