Peel Family Shelter relocation
The family shelter in Mississauga moved to meet increasing community shelter needs.
- Applications open
The new Peel Family Shelter will replace the 60 units at the former location and add an additional 50 units. The new shelter will reduce emergency shelter overflow costs.
Phased construction and renovation are anticipated to begin by the end of 2021 and projected to conclude Fall 2022.
2420 Surveyor Road is in Mississauga and is walking distance to amenities and community spaces including:
- Battleford Centre shopping plaza
- Dental, medical, and pharmacy services
- Erinwoods Park
- Mississauga Transit
The new shelter is also near Lake Aquitaine Park and the Meadowvale library.
As part of the Region of Peel's Housing Master Plan (HMP), a 3-phased approach was designed to meet demands for homelessness and shelter space.
Phase 2 of the HMP identified the relocation of the Peel Family Shelter in Mississauga, formerly located at 1767 Dundas Street East. The new shelter will accommodate the development of the adjacent Twin Pines (Peel Housing Corporation) property located at 1749 Dundas Street East.
The Region of Peel has relocated the family shelter at 1767 Dundas Street East, to 2420 Surveyor Road, through the repurposing of a 108-room hotel property.
Renovations will include the creation of accessible and barrier free spaces to help deliver necessary services and support. Energy efficiency and environmental performance upgrades are also included to help ensure long term sustainable emergency family shelter operation.
The new location of Peel Family Shelter is currently in use to help meet the immediate needs of homeless families in the community. The required renovations will be implemented with the building partly in operation.
Once complete, the Peel Family Shelter will have:
- Accessible rooms.
- Barrier-free common areas.
- New flooring and wall finishes.
- Energy efficiency upgrades including ventilation, domestic hot water heating, window, and other building envelope upgrades.
- March 2021: Region of Peel completes environmental and site planning requirements and approvals.
- January 4, 2021: Site location becomes operational as the new location of Peel Family Shelter.
- November 2020: Region of Peel completes acquisition of 2420 Surveyor Road.
- March 2020: Real Estate and Housing Services staff conduct an internal assessment of 2420 Surveyor Road and Regional staff determine that the building is in suitable condition to be repurposed as an emergency shelter for families in Peel.
- February 2020: Region of Peel Real Estate confirms the 2420 Surveyor Road hotel property as a potential site for an emergency shelter and staff proceed with pending acquisition and environmental assessment of existing property.