How we work
Supporting Peel Region’s plan to increase affordable housing and prevent chronic homelessness.
The Housing Development Office’s mission is to build affordable and emergency housing and to encourage private and non-profit developers to contribute to this goal.
We develop a variety of affordable housing projects as part of the Housing Master Plan on land owned by the Region of Peel and Peel Housing Corporation. These projects also meet the community needs identified in Peel's Housing and Homelessness Plan.
We oversee the entire housing development process:
- Work collaboratively with partners to acquire building sites
- Implement pre-development processes
- Select and work with development contractors
- Oversee construction
- Open applications and transfer operations for new builds.
We also support private and non-profit developers to build rental housing in Peel, through the Affordable Housing Incentives Pilot Program.
- In 2018, the Peel's Housing and Homelessness Plan (PHHP) was developed as a 10-year plan to make affordable housing available and prevent homelessness for all Peel residents. The Housing Master Plan was created as a key action of PHHP, endorsed by Regional Council on July 11, 2019.
- The Housing Development Office implements Peel’s Housing Master Plan to create more than 5,650 affordable rental units and shelter beds on Regional and Peel Housing Corporation sites by 2034.
- The Affordable Housing Incentives Pilot Program is directly linked to Strategy 3 of the PHHP, provide incentives to build affordable housing. Regional Council approved the program on July 9, 2020. Through this program, we’ll award funding to successful applicants to build middle-income rental housing in Peel.
The Housing Development Office is driven by our principles.
- We take pride in building not just affordable housing, but sustainable and inclusive communities, and creating homes that give residents stability, peace of mind, and safety.
- We design new housing with our residents in mind, including accessibility needs, and the needs of vulnerable populations, seniors, families and individuals.
- We design new housing to be resilient, energy efficient and to reduce greenhouse gases; this supports the Peel Region's Climate Change Master Plan.
We collaborate with private and non-profit organizations, the development community, our local municipalities, and our partners at the Province of Ontario and the Government of Canada to foster successful working relationships.