Get help paying for funeral arrangements
We can help you pay for the cost of a basic funeral, burial, or cremation for a deceased Peel resident if you can't pay for it on your own.
Financial help for funeral arrangements depends on your eligibility. We offer help paying for only two types of basic funeral packages, based on approval:
- Type A- No visitation/service
- Type B- One visitation and service, plus cremation or burial
To apply, you must call us before you speak to a funeral home or make arrangements. We must authorize financial support for funeral services before you or any other person signs a contract with a funeral home or cemetery.
We will not reimburse the cost of any funeral, burial, or cremation if a contract has already been signed or if it has already been paid for (in whole or in part).
Step 1: Check your eligibility
To be eligible for help:
- The person must be deceased – we will not pre-approve applications for a person who is not deceased.
- The deceased person must have been a resident of Peel when they passed away.
- You must give the Region of Peel information about the deceased person's income, assets, life insurance, and property.
- You must know the deceased person's full name, date of birth, date of death, social insurance number, and marital status at the time of death.
Eligibility is based on:
- The deceased person's income, assets, life insurance, property, etc. (if the value of these assets is higher than the allowable level for the family size, financial assistance will be refused).
- The deceased person's family assets (if the deceased person was not single at the time of death).
- The parent(s)/legal guardian’s eligibility if the deceased person was a minor/child.
Step 2: Apply by phone
To apply for financial help for funeral arrangements, call 905-793-9200, and press 0 (Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
For after hour/weekend/holiday approval, please call 905-791-7800.