Halton-Peel Boundary Area Transportation Study (HPBATS)
The Halton-Peel Boundary Area Transportation Study (HPBATS) is a joint study between the Region of Peel, Halton Region, the City of Brampton, the Town of Caledon, and the Town of Halton Hills.
HPBATS began following an agreement reached with Halton Region after the City of Brampton's appeal to the Halton Regional Official Plan Amendment 25 (ROPA 25).
The HPBATS study area is in both Halton and Peel Region. The area is bounded (approximately) by Trafalgar Road to the west, King Street to the north, Chinguacousy to the east, and Highways 401 and 407 ETR to the south.
The main objectives of the HPBATS study include:
- An interconnected roadway network near the Halton-Peel boundary.
- Making it easier to use public transit, carpooling/vanpooling and/or High Occupancy Vehicles (HOV) lanes instead of driving alone.
- Improving the flow of inter-regional traffic.
Transportation System Recommendations
HPBATS recommends a transportation system that:
- Supports a road hierarchy with continuous arterial road connections to allow for goods movement between major centres and from major centres to the 400-series highway network and possible future Provincial transportation facilities (i.e. GTA West Corridor).
- Supports uninterrupted arterial (main) road connections for moving goods:
- Between major centres.
- From major centres to the 400-series highway network.
- From possible future Provincial transportation (such as the GTA West Corridor)
- Is balanced as a result of multi-modal transport solutions (moving goods by at least 2 different modes of transport) and travel demand management initiatives (programs that try to reduce congestion by reducing the number of vehicles on the road).
- Uses existing road capacity and infrastructure for efficient transportation system management (TSM). TSM are strategies that improve the movement of traffic.
- Links transportation services across the Halton-Peel boundary.
- Respects the natural environment.
For more information, please see the HPBATS Executive Summary (PDF) or contact:
- Wayne Chan
Manager, Sustainable Transportation
Transportation Planning, Public Works
Region of Peel
Phone: 905-791-7800 ext. 4405
- Mailing Address:
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite B, 4th Floor
Brampton, ON L6T 4B9