Applicants Under 18
No person under the age of 18 is eligible for assistance unless:
- There are special circumstances that justify the assistance;
- The person's living arrangements are favourable in meeting the conditions of eligibility regarding education or training, employment and community participation;
- The person is in attendance as a full time student at a school or institution or other course of training approved by the supervisor; and
- The person satisfies all other conditions of eligibility.
- The person is under the age of 16 and is a sole support parent.
In order to determine if "special circumstances" exist, it is necessary that a family assessment take place. Both the youth and parent(s) are requested to provide information as to why the youth is not living at home.
If special circumstances are determined and the person under the age of 18 is eligible for assistance in the Region of Peel, it is mandatory the person have a trustee appointed by the Region of Peel.
Pursuit of Support
Reasonable efforts to pursue support from the youth's parent(s) are required except in extenuating circumstances.
Once the youth turns 18 years of age, support is no longer required by the parent(s).