Going off the rails
A presentation by Peel Long Term Care at the 2014
Peel Long Term Care provided colleagues with an overview of their approach to reducing the use of bedrails by residents of their five Long Term Care Centres at the annual Ontario Association of Non Profit Homes and Services for Seniors held in Toronto at the end of April 2014.
The presentation describes a journey of continuous improvement and the adoption of best practices intended to keep residents safe, that is part technical but largely "attitudinal" in nature.
The resources below may be useful to other organizations embarking on a similar journey.
- Region of Peel Presentation:
Bed Entrapment Prevention Program
- Region of Peel Bed Entrapment Prevention Program (PDF, 521KB)
- Going off the rails staff, resident, family fact sheet (PDF, 40KB)
- Clinical Protocol for the use of Bed Rails: Northamptonshire, UK
- Health Canada Bed rail fact sheet (PDF, 27KB)