Get Help Paying for Renovations for Your Second Unit

The program is closed for 2018 and we’re not accepting new applications at this time.

A second unit (such as a basement apartment or an in-law suite) inside your home is defined as a separate living space that has its own:

We offer a limited amount of funding each year to help pay for renovations in order to:

The funds are only available to renovate or repair an existing second unit. We will not provide financial help to create or build a new second unit inside your home.

Contact Us

For more information, call us at 905-791-7800, ext. 8032 (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), or send us an email.

Other information

To be considered for financial help, you must start the process to register your second unit with your municipality (the city/town you are living in). If you are approved by your municipality, you will receive a building permit.

To register your second unit and apply for a building permit, follow the registration process for your city/town:

City of Mississauga Second Unit Registration
City of Brampton Second Unit Registration
Town of Caledon Second Unit Registration