The Prenatal Education Classes: Survey of Mothers - 2003 report summarizes results of a telephone survey that was conducted with a sample of mothers from the Healthy Babies/Healthy Children program who resided in Peel Region, delivered a baby between the months of May and October 2003, and spoke English. Data regarding what information mothers needed during their pregnancy, prenatal class attendance and barriers or difficulties in attending prenatal classes are described throughout.
In addition, this report also summarizes findings from focus groups conducted with mothers who attended prenatal classes, mothers who did not attend prenatal classes and settlement workers who work with pregnant women who are recent immigrants to Canada.
This report includes the following sections and chapters:
- Acknowledgements (PDF 25KB, 2 pages)
- Table of Contents (PDF 25KB, 2 pages)
- List of Tables and Figures (PDF 27KB, 2 pages)
- List of Appendices (PDF 25KB, 1page)
- Executive Summary (PDF 44KB, 8 pages)
In 2002-2003, the Region of Peel Health Department (Peel Health) chose to administer a telephone survey to new mothers from the Healthy Babies/Healthy Children Program.
- Introduction (PDF 29KB, 2 pages)
- Methods (PDF 31KB, 4 pages)
This section focuses on 4 main areas: Sample Selection, Survey Administration, Data Analysis and Focus Group Research.
- Results (PDF 130KB, 30 pages)
This section of the report focuses on 1,003 telephone surveys completed, yielding a response rate of 82%.
- Discussion (PDF 43KB, 8 pages)
This section focuses on the findings among: All Participants, Mothers Who Attended Prenatal Classes, Mothers Who Did Not Attend Prenatal Classes, Settlement Workers and Limitations.
- Conclusion (PDF 24KB , 1 page)
- Recommendations (PDF 24KB , 1page)
- References (PDF 26KB, 2 pages)
- Appendix-A (PDF 59KB, 14 pages)
- Appendix-B (PDF 24KB, 2 pages)
A complete copy of the report is available in PDF format: The Prenatal Education Classes: Survey of Mothers – 2003. (PDF 367KB, 86 pages)
To save the PDF to disk, right click on the link above and choose "Save Target As..." from the menu.