October 21, 2008 Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC)
Page Content:
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Minutes
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Communication Items
5. Presentations
6. Reports
7. Report from the Accessibility Planning Specialist
8. Report of the Accessibility Advisory Committee Chair and Members
9. Other Business
10. Next Meeting
11. Adjournment

 

REGION OF PEEL

ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE (AAC)


MINUTES


AAC-2008-9

 

The Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee met on October 21, 2008 at 1:02 p.m. in the Council Chamber, Regional Administrative Headquarters, 10 Peel Centre Drive, Brampton.

Members Present: G. Barnes; W. Goursky; S. Hames; N. Husain; E. Kolb*¨; R. Paterak; M. Tymkow
Members Absent: H. Bajwa; S. McFadden, due to vacation; J. Hardman; J. Spry
Also Present:

J. Payne, Deputy Clerk and Acting Director of Clerk’s; M. Sikand, Accessibility Planning Specialist; S. Fisher, Coordinator, Regulatory Compliance; M. Gardiner, Committee Clerk

_____________________________________
*See text for arrivals
¨See text for departures

William Goursky, Chair, presided.


1. CALL TO ORDER

William Goursky, Chair of the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee called the meeting to order at 1:02 p.m. and welcomed everyone present.

 

2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

RECOMMENDATION AAC-26-2008:

That the minutes of the September 23, 2008 Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee meeting be approved.


3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

RECOMMENDATION AAC-27-2008:

That the agenda for the October 21, 2008 Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee meeting be approved.

 

4. COMMUNICATION ITEMS

a. Madeleine Meilleur, Minister of Community and Social Services, Letter dated October 10, 2008, Providing an Update on the Progress Being Made in Making Ontario Accessible to Everyone

Received

William Goursky, Chair of the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee noted that the Minister of Community and Social Services acknowledged AAC members for playing a significant role in making Ontario accessible.

He advised that the Accessibility Directorate of Ontario collaborated with the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario (AMCTO) to increase resources and provide training on the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service. The Ministry has committed to providing tools and resources to assist municipalities in meeting the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service.


5. PRESENTATIONS

a. Bart Jaworski, Eco Chic Inc. and John D’Angelo, President, Martinway Contracting Ltd., Providing Options on LED Lights that could be Used in Apartment Buildings under the Proposed Universal Design Standards

Received

Bart Jaworski, Eco Chic Inc. provided a brief overview of the benefits of using light-emitting-diode (LED) lights in apartment buildings. He noted that LED lights are designed to produce a high level of brightness with minimal power consumption. Bart Jaworski provided an overview of LED options that could be used in apartment buildings under the proposed Universal Design Standard for Region of Peel affordable housing projects for Region of Peel affordable housing projects.

Councillor Paterak inquired if LED lights are only installed on surfaces and not by normal electric box outlets. Bart Jaworski responded that LED lights are classified as extra low voltage accent lights under the building code. He indicated that the electric box outlets could be installed for accent lights, however, they are not necessary in Ontario.

Naz Husain questioned the cost of LED lights compare to regular light bulbs. Bart Jaworski responded that LED lights are more expensive than normal light bulbs but they consume less power and offer flexibility that other lighting options do not. He advised that the main purpose of the sponsorship was to use LED light products in conjunction with the John Street building project to demonstrate the benefits offered by the product.

Maureen Tymkow asked as to where Eco Chic Inc., would put the accent lighting in the apartment building and for what purpose or objective. Bart Jaworski advised that LED accent lights would be used in hallways as emergency lighting. He further added that LED lights could be used as accent lights in entrance ways and as markers for passageways. Bart Jaworski stated that the LED lights have a life expectancy of eight years.

Naz Husain stated that accent lights would be beneficial for persons who are visually impaired. She noted it may be appropriate to include night accent lights to create visual pathways meeting the intent of Universal Design Standard.

William Goursky asked if LED lights are resistant to weather. Bart Jaworski responded that LED lights are currently certified for indoor use only.

John D’Angelo, President, Martinway Contracting Ltd., explained that the John Street building has been designed with energy efficient lighting sensors and that tremendous further savings could be realized through the use of LED light installation. John D’Angelo noted that Bart Jaworski has donated LED light products for the John Street building project and the AAC is being asked to provide input as to the most appropriate utilization of the product.

Councillor Paterak inquired if the entire accent light unit would be redundant or if there would be components of the accent lights that would be replaced as the lights expire. Bart Jaworski responded that accent lights are purchased as one unit and components cannot be replaced. John D’Angelo explained that replacement costs and impact to the Region are some of the areas that need to be considered. He noted that accent lights are currently new to the market, therefore, the cost would be expensive. However, the price of LED lights might be cheaper seven years from now. He noted that the price of LED lights might be reduced by up to 50 per cent as the technology is adapted.

Glenn Barnes commented that the colour contrast of accent lights between the light itself and the background should be around 70 per cent. He added that white accent lights and white backgrounds do not provide the contrast needed to meet the needs of visually impaired persons.

Glenn Barnes asked if accent lights could be utilized in cold areas such as the municipal parking garage at the John Street building. Bart Jaworski advised that such an application has not yet been considered.

Maureen Tymkow suggested that the accent lights on individual unit doors include colour contrasting to assist persons who are visually impaired. John D’Angelo noted that the John Street building has extra large numbers and lighting for suite doors as well as very bright corridors and hallways.

John D’Angelo advised that the architect would be consulted to find out the right colour contrast for the doors. He noted that AAC members would be consulted with respect to the accessibility of the selected colours.

Naz Husain indicated that high contrast colours on the door numbers would be better than Braille. She stated that there is a very low population who use Braille.

Bart Jaworski encouraged members to provide their suggestions on how LED lights could be used in multi-family buildings. William Goursky requested that AAC members provide Meenu Sikand with their suggestions via email.

* E. Kolb, Regional Chair, arrived at 1:25 p.m.

b. Susan Fisher, Coordinator, Regulatory Compliance, Providing an Update on the Accessibility Plan Development and Approval Process Project

Received

Susan Fisher, Coordinator, Regulatory Compliance, provided an update on the Accessibility Plan Development and Approval Process Project. She presented a summary of her findings from this project.

William Goursky requested that AAC members provide their feedback on the 2008 Accessibility Plan by submitting the Comment Form available online.

Maureen Tymkow commented that the size and colour contrast of the advertisement adjacent to the Accessibility Plan in the newspaper was not easily readable. Councillor Paterak commented that the Region should ensure that all advertisements and communication formats are accessible to all Peel residents.

Councillor Paterak suggested that Meenu Sikand discuss the accessibility of Region of Peel communications and information with David Szwarc, Chief Administrative Officer.

STAFF DIRECTION AAC-9-2008-1:

That Meenu Sikand, Accessibility Planning Specialist, meet with the Chief Administrative Officer to consider an accessibility communications strategy for the Region of Peel.

 

6. REPORTS - Nil


7. REPORT FROM THE ACCESSIBILITY PLANNING SPECIALIST

a. Meenu Sikand, Accessibility Planning Specialist, Region of Peel, Monthly Activity Report (October, 2008)

Received

b. Meenu Sikand, Accessibility Planning Specialist, Region of Peel, Providing an Update on the Activities for the International Day of Persons with Disabilities (Oral)

Received

Meenu Sikand, Accessibility Planning Specialist, provided AAC members with an update on the activities planned for the International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD). She stated that requests for staff nominations have been sent out. She noted that a working group is needed for reviewing the submissions. Naz Husain requested Meenu Sikand to email AAC members with a list of outstanding tasks for the event.

Meenu Sikand stated the IDPD event would address the accessibility needs of Peel residents. She facilitated cross sectional meetings and secured required space for the IDPD event; and prepared various planning documents to review with appropriate staff to discuss the proposed activities to mark the 2008 event. Meenu Sikand advised that December 2, 2008 will be proclaimed International Day of Persons with Disabilities in the Region of Peel.

Meenu Sikand noted that Regional Councillors and area councillors will be invited during the event. She will be coordinating with Keith Ward, Commissioner of Human Services regarding housing’s participation in the event. She requested that AAC members assist her in by providing the names of appropriate stakeholders who may be interested in participating at displays during the event.

Meenu Sikand provided a brief update on the Joint Municipal AAC meeting. She noted that Wendy Goss, Legislative Coordinator from the City of Brampton sent her an email proposing that the meeting be rescheduled to early spring of 2009. Wendy Goss noted that there was a suggestion to invite Council members to attend the meeting.

William Goursky inquired as to the status of the October 8, 2008 Region of Peel Diversity Forum. Meenu Sikand responded that the Diversity Forum was an internal event hosted by the Region of Peel for staff. William Goursky further added that he had originally understand that AAC members would be invited to attend the forum and that it was unfortunate that the forum had been limited to an internal staff focus.

 

8. REPORT OF THE ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE CHAIR AND MEMBERS

a. William Goursky, Chair, Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC), Discussing Options Regarding an Access Ontario Conference in the Region of Peel (Oral)

Received

William Goursky reported that the feasibility of hosting an Access Ontario Conference in Peel was discussed at a previous AAC meeting. He noted that the intention was to invite organizations and agencies who are involved with accessibility to a conference in Peel. William Goursky commented that AAC is currently involved with various activities such as the Universal Design Standards. He suggested that this subject matter be discussed sometime later this new year.

b. Naz Husain, Vice-Chair, Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC), Providing an Update on the Employment Accessibility Standards Development Committee (EASD) (Oral)

Received

Naz Husain requested that AAC members provide her with their feedback and comments on the proposed draft standard of the Employment Accessibility Standards Development Committee (EA-SDC). She reminded AAC members that a formal clause-by clause vote would be held on November 12 and 13, 2008 to confirm EA-SDC approval of the initial proposed draft standard.

c. Harvinder Bajwa, Member, Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC), Providing an Update on the Joint Municipal AAC Meeting (Oral)

This item was dealt with earlier in the meeting under Report from the Accessibility Planning Specialist Item – Item 7b

d. William Goursky, Chair, Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC), Providing an Update on the Universal Design Work Group (Oral)

Received

William Goursky provided an update on the activities of the Universal Design Work Group. He noted that the Universal Design Work Group was originally planning to present the Universal Design Standards report to Regional Council in October. The Work Group was planning to provide Council with information comparing the cost between renovating a building and building a new affordable housing project. He stated that he hoped that the report would be presented at the November 13, 2008 General Committee meeting.

William Goursky indicated that they are currently having difficulty getting information from suppliers. Glenn Barnes suggested that the Work Group use the most recent available information and explain to Council the rationale behind the information presented.

¨E. Kolb, Regional Chair departed at 2:30 p.m.


9. OTHER BUSINESS

Additional Items

a. Social Housing Conditions in Peel (Oral)

Received

Naz Husain informed AAC members of a recent media story relating to the Toronto Housing Association. She stated that there were renovation complaints received from persons with disabilities that were not followed-up by the Toronto Housing Association. Residents with disabilities were interviewed regarding the terrible conditions of their apartment buildings. She requested that staff provide an update on the overall conditions of affordable housing in Peel.

Councillor Paterak commented that Peel has better housing conditions compared to Toronto. He explained that the City of Toronto was underfunded when social housing was transferred to the municipalities. Councillor Paterak suggested that Keith Ward be invited to a future meeting to provide AAC members with an update on the social housing conditions in Peel William Goursky requested that Meenu Sikand coordinate with Keith Ward to provide an update on the social housing conditions in Peel at the January 2009 AAC meeting.

b. Handling Maintenance Requests in Peel Living Buidings (Oral)

Received

Glenn Barnes expressed his concern regarding the handling of maintenance requests from persons with disabilities in Peel Living buildings. He noted that Peel Living has changed their maintenance policy for Peel Living residents and the policy does not include accessibility issues. He indicated that Peel Living residents who request maintenance services now have customer service restricted only to business hours.

Glenn Barnes requested that Meenu Sikand follow up with the Human Services department regarding his concerns with respect to the handling of maintenance requests in Peel Living buildings. He commented on how information is disseminated to Peel Living residents and stated that the information should be in accessible format. He requested that Meenu Sikand work with Peel Living staff to provide a presentation at a future AAC meeting that includes information on the reasons why the policy is not accessible to all Peel Living residents.

c. October 29, 2008 Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) Meeting (Oral)

Received

Maureen Tymkow inquired on the email that was sent by Glenn Barnes requesting transportation arrangements for a particular meeting. Glenn clarified that his email was referring to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) meeting where he was requested by Naz Husain to make transportation arrangements. He stated that the AODA meeting will be held on October 29, 2008.

 

10. NEXT MEETING

Tuesday, December 2, 2008
1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Council Chamber, 5th floor
Regional Administrative Headquarters
10 Peel Centre Drive
Brampton, Ontario


11. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting adjourned at 2:40 p.m.