Peel Region homepage

Workplaces, schools and child care centres

Information related to novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and infection prevention practices.


Where can I get infection prevention signage to use around the workplace?

Infection prevention resources, for flu and other illnesses, can be downloaded from the Peel Public Health website. This includes signage to recommend that employees to stay home when they are sick. View poster 1(PDF) and poster 2(PDF).

Is there a risk associated with receiving package goods from China?

No. Other coronaviruses can't survive for long periods of time on hard surfaces and objects, so we should expect the same for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Scientific knowledge so far on COVID-19 has not indicated any evidence to treat shipped goods any differently.

Where can I find information on business continuity planning?

Visit the Government of Canada's business continuity planning web page.

Should my non-health care employee wear a mask at work if they have recently returned from mainland China?

As there are limited cases of COVID-19 in Canada, all public health officials across Canada, including Peel Public Health, are not advising people who are well to wear masks. Wearing medical masks when not indicated may cause unnecessary cost and create a false sense of security that can lead to neglecting other essential measures such as hand hygiene practices. Using masks incorrectly may hamper their effectiveness in reducing the risk of transmission.


What should I do if a student is displaying flu-like symptoms such as coughing, fever, and shortness of breath?

There are presently only a few cases of COVID-19 in all of Canada compared to millions of Canadians who become infected with the flu each year. The risk of COVID-19 is low in Peel. The main risk factor is recent travel to Wuhan, China and less so, to other parts of China.

As with other illnesses, if you have the following symptoms you should connect with a health care provider:

Should we isolate or quarantine students who do not display any flu-like symptoms such as coughing, fever, and/or shortness of breath but who have recently travelled to mainland China?

No. At this time, there are a small number of COVID-19 cases reported in Canada. The risk to Canadians remains low. Anyone travelling into Toronto Pearson Airport after January 23 will be screened and provided additional information instructing them on what to do should they develop symptoms.

If a student has recently travelled to Hubei province in the last 14 days, the Public Health Agency of Canada and Ontario Ministry of Health are advising they should self-isolate for a total of 14 days (from the date that they left Hubei) and call Peel Public Health (905-799-7700, Caledon 905-584-2216) for further information. Students who travelled from China should monitor themselves for symptoms of the COVID-19 for 14 days after leaving China and contact Peel Public Health for information at 905-799-7700, Caledon 905-584-2216.

If you're feeling well, you do not need to contact public health.

If the student is not sick, public health is not requiring students to be excluded from school.

Students should call their health care provider right away if they develop any of these symptoms. They should also advise them of their travel/contact history in advance of their visit so that steps can be taken to protect other people from getting sick.

Child care centres

When should children stay home?

Infants and children should stay home if they are sick. Parents should consult with their health care professionals if they have any concerns.

Do I need to clean the child care centre any differently?

Follow existing cleaning and disinfection procedures for cleaning toys, equipment and surfaces in your centres.

What should be the focus of cleaning and disinfection efforts in child care centres when no known cases or suspect cases of COVID-19 are present?

Coronaviruses, including COVID-19, are spread primarily through contact and droplet transmission. Routine cleaning and sanitation with detergents can reduce the presence of respiratory droplets on surfaces and objects to help prevent the virus from spreading. Based on the needs of your centre, a disinfectant (chemical product that will kill pathogens) may be used.

When used according to the manufacturer's instructions, all commercial disinfectants are expected be able to kill or inactivate COVID-19. To choose an appropriate disinfectant, ensure the label has a "DIN" (Drug Identification Number). This means the manufacturer has met the disinfectant standards established by Health Canada.

Some effective products sold for household use may not have a DIN number. In this case. Check the product label for:

  1. The specific word disinfectant.
  2. A claim to be able to kill viruses or bacteria.
  3. Intended use on objects and surfaces, not for use on skin.

Cleaning, sanitation and disinfection should focus on surfaces and objects that are touched frequently by many different people. This includes doorknobs, elevator buttons, handrails, light switches, sinks and handles.

Stay up-to-date on COVID-19 in Canada.