Simple Steps to Thaw Your Frozen Water Pipes
Your home's water pipes have frozen leaving you without water. Here are three steps to thaw them.
- Locate the suspected frozen area of the water pipe (it is commonly adjacent to an exterior wall or where the water service enters the home through the foundation).
- Leave a cold water tap downstream of the location open, so that when the water begins to flow again, you know the pipe has thawed.
- Apply heat* to the area or section of pipe using one of the following methods:
- An electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe,
- An electric hair dryer
- A portable heater (be sure not to place near flammable materials.)
*Use caution when leaving electrical appliances unattended for long periods of time.
If after following these instructions you are unable to thaw the frozen pipe, please contact the Region at 905-791-7800 for further help and to log a service call.
You can also visit our website at peelregion.ca/frozenpipes to see a short video on winterizing your indoor pipes.