navigation
Region of Peel - Working for you
navigation
Region of Peel - Working for you

Peelregion.ca will be down this Saturday

The Region's website and online services will be unavailable on Saturday, August 19, between 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. for one hour due to maintenance. Website visitors may also experience intermittent outages during this time period. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

PAMA Celebrates Local Regiment

main

The Lorne Scots are one of Canada’s Oldest Military Units

The Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives (PAMA) is honouring Remembrance Day with a special exhibit now showing at the Benares Historic House in south Mississauga.

The exhibit features the Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment), which has provided more than 150 years of military and peacekeeping service.

Service and Remembrance: 150 Years of the Lorne Scots is on display until November 19 at the Benares Historic House, located at 1507 Clarkson Rd N. in south Mississauga. The exhibit is open from 12 noon to 4 p.m. from Wednesdays through Sundays.

Regimental history

The Lorne Scots regiment is one of Canada's oldest military units. It has served in major conflicts, peacekeeping missions, natural disaster assistance programs and community events for more than 150 years.

The regiment traces its history back to 1866, when local county battalions were organized because residents feared attacks from the United States. Independent militia groups from various towns across Peel, Dufferin and Halton counties formed the 20th Halton and 36th Peel Battalions of Infantry.

Naming the Lorne Scots

The two battalions changed their names several times over the years before they finally united and became the Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment) in 1936. The first name change was when Halton Battalion added "Lorne Rifles" to its name to honour the Marquis of Lorne, who was Canada's Governor General from 1878 to 1883. Then, the 36th Peel Battalion became the Peel and Dufferin Regiment in 1923. Finally, the Halton Regiment was renamed the Lorne Rifles (Scottish) in 1931, which was the last step before the united unit adopted today's name.

The present exhibit was created by PAMA and Halton Heritage Service. They worked with the regiment and Lorne Scots Regimental Museum. The exhibit offers photographs, artifacts, video and personal stories of local men and women who served and continue the Regiment's legacy today.

For details on visiting the Benares Historic House, check https://culture.mississauga.ca/museums

Lorne Scots take a break during training, 1942.
Photo: Lorne Scots Regimental Association